Explore Mount Pleasant

Go To Search
Click to Home

History & Mission Statement
Mission Statement
The Mount Pleasant Fire Department is a leading emergency service organization meeting the service requirements of our community in fire prevention, fire suppression and rescue, and other emergencies by utilizing and improving the dedication, knowledge, and skills of our members; and continually pursuing improvement of all our services and operations with paid and volunteer members.

History
The Mount Pleasant Fire Department was organized on December 15, 1903 with 25 charter members. Mr. G. A. Mount, the last surviving charter member, died in 1974. The motto adopted then, "When duty calls, 'tis ours to obey," is the same today.
The fire hose was carried in a hand pulled cart from 1903 until 1908. From 1908 to 1915, the hose was transported by a horse drawn wagon. Mount Pleasant's first fire truck was a 1915 Brockway. The chain-drive vehicle, which arrived in a "plain vanilla" condition, was fitted out after its purchase with brass headlights and decorated with a fancy paint job, even to the wooden wheel spokes. This first pumper was replaced by a 1929 Seagraves. Then in 1938, the department took delivery of a 1936 Ford truck with a Boyer 500 gallon per minute pump. The Mount Pleasant Fire Department still owns this piece of equipment which is frequently seen on special occasions.
The department was all volunteer until 1933, when one paid driver, Carl Huckabee, was employed. In 1949, a second paid driver was added. In 1968, the City appointed a full-time, paid Chief (Rex A. Mars) and hired seven full-time firefighters. In October of 1978 Drue Dees was appointed Fire Chief and was followed by Taft Nelson in March of 1981. Chief, Larry McRae, took office in November of 1984. Twenty one full-time and fifteen part-time firefighters, a secretary, plus fourteen volunteers make up the department today.
In 2001 a new central fire station was built in Dellwood Park at 728 E. Ferguson Road.
Prior to this, central station was located at 402 N. Washington from 1961 to 2001. Before moving to Washington Street location it was located with the old City Hall/Police Department Complex. Prior to that it was at the NE corner of West Third Street and N. Madison Ave. facing Third Street.